Job's friends remind me of some prosperity teachers I've heard. If you're not healthy and wealthy then you are doing something wrong because otherwise God would give you everything your heart desires.
I like Job's response in chapter 9.
“Yes, I know all this is true in principle.
But how can a person be declared innocent in God’s sight?
If someone wanted to take God to court,
would it be possible to answer him even once in a thousand times?
For God is so wise and so mighty.
Who has ever challenged him successfully?
But how can a person be declared innocent in God’s sight?
If someone wanted to take God to court,
would it be possible to answer him even once in a thousand times?
For God is so wise and so mighty.
Who has ever challenged him successfully?
He does great things too marvelous to understand.
He performs countless miracles.
“Yet when he comes near, I cannot see him.
When he moves by, I do not see him go.
When he moves by, I do not see him go.
If he snatches someone in death, who can stop him?
Who dares to ask, ‘What are you doing?’
Who dares to ask, ‘What are you doing?’
And God does not restrain his anger.
Even the monsters of the sea are crushed beneath his feet.
Even the monsters of the sea are crushed beneath his feet.
“So who am I, that I should try to answer God
or even reason with him?
Even if I were right, I would have no defense.
I could only plead for mercy.
or even reason with him?
Even if I were right, I would have no defense.
I could only plead for mercy.
I used to really struggle with the question "Why do bad things happen to innocent people?". Finally I realized that suffering is not God's fault. Suffering is a result of sin. We live in a fallen world. And, there are no truly innocent people, "For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard." (Romans 3:23).
Lord help me to give you the respect and honor that you deserve. I thank you for your mercy, by which I have been redeemed.
No comments:
Post a Comment